Monday, August 20, 2012

Belated Finale

Ten days ago, I zipped up my suitcase, turned in my keys, and hugged my BNBs goodbye. I held it together pretty well until I buckled my seatbelt on the plane. I was the last one on, but it turned out it didn't really matter--our plane had a mechanical issue and we ended up having to switch. Then I got to look like a mess back in the airport for about an hour and a half while they got the new plane ready to go. Once on our new plane, some lovely lady behind me took the liberty in complaining about the delay. (I mean...really people? Be my guest if you want to fly on a broken plane, but count me out.) Friday, August 10 was a horrible day to fly all around; I don't know a single SARPian who got home with absolutely no delays--even those who only had one flight!

Our last weekend in California wasn't really a weekend for any of us. We worked, worked, worked all weekend trying to finish our presentations. We also practiced. A lot. But it was so worth it. Even after my project changed the day before we presented (cue: heart attack), everything came together in the end, and we all gave our best presentations on Wednesday the 8th. They were all recorded and can be found somewhere on the internet if you look hard enough (hint: SARP website). Feel free to watch them! I have not looked at them so I cannot tell you which number I am, but my presentation was entitled "Effects of Sea Breezes on Transport in the Los Angeles Basin" (my old title included ozone; I'm not sure which title is posted). I highly suggest watching Nathan's presentation as well (lots of laughs).

Wednesday night was our graduation party. We ate some pizza and played some games and talked to some NASA folks! We also surprised Emily with a gift from all of us. She really puts her heart and soul into the program and it shows! :)

Thursday, a bunch of us went back to Crystal Cove for some last-minute beach time. Some jumped rope with some kelp, some of us threw around Frisbees, some of us swam in the ocean, and some of us buried PJ (while some of us watched the burial). It was exactly what I needed on my last full day in California. Upon our return, the BNBs went out for dinner at Steelhead Brewing Co. (The land group and some other SARP people also showed up!) Just writing this all down makes me so sad! I will never forget SARP. I seriously had the best time. I came home and felt the immediate effects of PSD (post-SARPtum depression, as my step mom put it).

For those of you considering this program in future years, apply. Just do it. You won't regret it.

With that, my summer as a NASA intern is over. :( See ya next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment